Bad Toilet Habits: Are You Doing Any of These?Reigner
You probably do not know it, but you might have habits that may have negative effects on your sensitive areas. Proper toilet practices do not only involve cleaning yourself after you have bowel movement. There are other practices that are needed to be done in order to avoid health risks. Some of these are:
- Straining excessively or sitting on the toilet for prolonged periods. Toilet paper use is also one of these unhealthy habits. It is advisable to switch to using a bidet.
- People with conditions should be careful because excessive toilet paper use can make bacteria spread. Toilet paper can leave behind germs from urine and fecal matter. Plus, its coarse nature can create skin irritations or, worse, abrasions. Bidets can clean more thoroughly than toilet paper because they use water to clean the genitals and anus. Water can relieve pain and itching coming from conditions like hemorrhoids and yeast infection, as well as prevent the spread of bacteria.
- Because it does not completely remove germs from waste, there is a possibility that using only toilet paper can lead to stains in your underwear, which can be a hassle. Using toilet paper can also increase your hands’ contamination from urine and fecal matter.. In addition to this, toilet paper use can cause clogging of drainage systems. You can avoid the limitations of toilet paper use by using a bidet spray or a handheld bidet.
- Always remember to allow your body to work naturally and only go to the toilet when you feel the urge to go. Only exert very gentle pressure for no more than 30 seconds per attempt. Focus on doing your pelvic and abdominal muscles. Similar to straining, delaying your trip to the toilet is also an unfavorable practice. Doing so can cause or aggravate constipation or even bladder problems. It is also not advisable to force your body to have a bowel movement.
- People who have hemorrhoids should try squatting when they go to the toilet. When you squat, your body will be in a position it was designed to be when you’re having a bowel movement. Studies have shown that hemorrhoids have low occurrence in countries where people squat. By squatting, patients had complete and sustained relief from pain and bleeding. You can try certain devices that can simulate the squatting position instead of adjusting your entire bathroom to accommodate this habit.